Access to Data

Now that I’ve been granted ethical approval to start the research project I’m beginning to find that the process of collecting data for the project is a lot more difficult than I imagined.

The main issue I’ve realised is that I might be interested in my project and the theories and reading journal papers but there’s no reason why anyone else should or will be. Getting people to agree to be interviewed is not easy. People know that they do not have to be involved that they are giving their time and information for free. Why should they do this?

I have sent a PowerPoint presentation and the participant information sheet and email to three managers who I would like to be part of my Convergent Interview Reference Panel.

The email I sent to the managers asks if I can attend a team meeting so that I can explain to their staff what I would like to do and that all data will be anonymised. I have been told that some people have concerns about me doing this project at a time when there is a lot of change in the organization and a high degree of uncertainty.

If I don’t get a reply I will have to reconsider my strategy, maybe by sending an email to individuals requesting that they attend an interview.