Building the interview network

After seeming to get nowhere with my interviews it seems that I might be getting nearer to starting. The managers I spoke to a month ago seem to be on board with the project after I sent them some information about it. One manager had been on holiday for a week so took time to respond to me. I met him in the stairwell at work and he said he’d get back to me but has not yet. One other said the project sounded very interesting but has not yet arranged for me to speak to her staff. I’m meeting the registry manager tomorrow afternoon to go through the project with him.

I’ve decided to take a slightly different tack though, I’m not going to suggest that he joins the reference group but I’ll deal directly with him alone. I’m going to ask him to suggest some people for me to interview and then send those staff the explanatory email. I don’t think I’m going to be able to get to team meetings now.

Thinking that other people will be as excited as I about my research project is clearly a fantasy. I’ve realised that trying to get people involved in this is harder than I thought it would be. It’s one thing to draft up a plan and a timeline but it’s another thing to get the project off the ground.